About Me

My photo
I'm a librarian by day, a writer by night, and a reader and amateur photographer in between. I love to share books and other things that interest me. My own book - The Marshal Meets His Match - released January 2013. You can also find me at www.facebook.com/ClariDees

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Regency Romance

Do you read Regency romance? I do. I fell in love with the genre when I discovered Georgette Heyer's books in the public library while still a teenager. These Old Shades, Devil's Cub, The Talisman Ring, The Grand Sophy, these are just a few of the G.Heyer books I've read again and again.

I've often wondered why someone doesn't make one of her books into a movie instead of another remake of one of Jane Austen's titles. Don't get me wrong, I love watching Pride and Prejudice with all its differend actors/actresses, but Georgette Heyer has wonderful characters and plot lines, too, and I think it's time for some fresh period-piece movies. (I'm ducking the burning scowls from avid Austenites as I climb off my impromptu soapbox. :-)


That said, I've found a gem of a Regency book that has me hoping the author will write more, soon.


Judith Lown's A Sensible Lady is a Regency set in the country life of England instead of London or Bath's drawing rooms, but the story drew me in, and the wonderful cast of characters and storyline kept me turning the pages.

I really liked Katherine Brampton, the heroine. Her loyalty and honesty sometimes get her into trouble, but she fights to be self-reliant and make good decisions in the face of losing her father and brother and caring for her elderly aunt and a "surprise"waif under the disapproving pressure of relatives and a rejected suitor/cousin.

And the hero? Lord Harry Dracott? 
Military.
Tall.
Not a dandy or too handome.

Swoon.

He has his own scars and secrets, but I'll let you find those out for yourself.

There are several other characters that would make fine heroes of their own story, and I hope to see them in future books by Judith Lown. A Sensible Lady had a sigh-worthy ending and I found myself smiling, even though I wasn't quite ready for the book to end.

You can read the synopsis of the story by clicking on the book cover above. This is not a Christian/Inspirational romance, but it is clean; i.e. without sex/language/vulgarities.

No comments: