About Me

My photo
I'm a librarian by day, a writer by night, and a reader and amateur photographer in between. I love to share books and other things that interest me. My own book - The Marshal Meets His Match - released January 2013. You can also find me at www.facebook.com/ClariDees

Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Lamb of God

I had the privilege of reading an advance copy of The Lamb of God by Nancy Guthrie thanks to the book's publisher, Crossway, and NetGalley. 



The information on the cover intrigued me. 

Accomplished author and speaker Nancy Guthrie wants to help people understand the bigger picture of the Bible and learn to work their way through Scripture, listening for what it has to teach as opposed to skipping around the Bible in a topical study. To that end, Guthrie identifies the overarching theme of the work of Christ in the Bible, even in the Old Testament. Here she finds Jesus’s work in the person of Moses as a great deliverer and in the stories of the Israelite’s exodus from slavery, wandering on the way to the Promised Land, and keeping of the sacrifices, feasts, festivals, and washings. The third volume in the popular Seeing Jesus in the Old Testament series completes Guthrie’s coverage of the Pentateuch in this ten-week Bible study of how to see the person and work of Jesus in Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. 

I have long loved it when teachers and preachers point out where Jesus is in the Old Testament, and last year I did a study on how each aspect of the Tabernacle points to Christ. I was hoping this book would continue on that theme, and I was not disappointed. The book is designed to be used as a 10-week study for individuals or a Sunday School class, but I devoured it in ten days. Nancy Guthrie made Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy come alive in ways I had never seen before. I found myself in tears, praising the Lord for what He did for me at Calvary, what he does for me on a daily basis, and how he faithfully kept/keeps all the promises/prophecies that are inherent in the Old Testament. 

If you've ever thought those old books of the law are dry and hard to understand, you need to grab a copy of The Lamb of God by Nancy Guthrie. You'll never look at the Old Testament the same way again. The book released in mid-August, and I'm picking up a non-digital copy because I want to work through this study again, making notes and sharing it with my family. 

I was blessed by the insights that Nancy Guthrie shared in this book. The truths and promises of a loving Heavenly Father aren't just in the New Testament, they are in every line of the Old Testament and prove our Savior's love for us.
This book is going on my shelf to be used again and again, and I'm picking up the two books that preceded this title. Nancy Guthrie has made Old Testament Bible study exciting. 

(I was not required to give a favorable opinion, just an honest one. So what you've just read is my own, honest opinion of the book. Thank you to Crossway and NetGalley for letting me review this book!)

No comments: