About Me

My photo
I'm a librarian by day, a writer by night, and a reader and amateur photographer in between. I love to share books and other things that interest me. My own book - The Marshal Meets His Match - released January 2013. You can also find me at www.facebook.com/ClariDees

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Homefront Hero

Finished this book last night before going to bed:
I've enjoyed reading Allie Pleiter's previous titles and Homefront Hero was no exception. As you can tell from the pretty cover, it is an historical romance set during the time of World War I.

Red Cross nurse, Leanne Sample, is not impressed with the cinema-star smile and chest full of medals sported by recently returned war hero, Captain John Gallows. He's polished and smooth and knows how to wield his charm to get exactly what he wants, but she's not about to be the next female victim to his silver tongue. When she catches an unguarded glimpse of the war hero with his mask off, however, suddenly she can see the broken, hurting, wounded warrior no one else has noticed hiding behind the slick uniform.

John Gallows wants one thing. To return to the front, and he'll do whatever it takes to accomplish that. He's sick of being the poster boy for the war effort. If he has to use pretty Nurse Sample as a distraction from the pain of recovery and assist her in her Red Cross campaign, maybe the General will see he's healed and clear him for return to active duty. Falling for the distraction isn't a part of the plan; neither is the epidemic that brings the battlefront to his backyard, placing him and Nurse Sample in danger.

This was a quick read, but not because the characters or story lacked depth. Instead, the story line and characters hooked me from the start and kept me turning the pages to see what was going to happen next. The author must have done a ton of research on the Spanish Influenza epidemic because that part of the story felt all too real, but she weaved it into and through the story so well, I didn't feel like I was getting hit with a history lesson.

Homefront Hero by Allie Pleiter is on store shelves now. Grab your own copy and check out the story of Captain John Gallows and Nurse Leanne Sample. I don't think you'll be disappointed. My copy is going next to my other Allie Pleiter books. Happy Reading!

No comments: