About Me

My photo
I'm a librarian by day, a writer by night, and a reader and amateur photographer in between. I love to share books and other things that interest me. My own book - The Marshal Meets His Match - released January 2013. You can also find me at www.facebook.com/ClariDees

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Promise Kept!

Have you ever promised yourself you'd do something, but put it off? Then when you accomplished your goal you kicked yourself for not doing it sooner?

I have.

Many times.

One of those promises to myself that I kept procrastinating on was to read Marcus Luttrell's Lone Survivor.

I always have a stack of books waiting, but last week I made time to read Lone Survivor. Wow! I don't read much non-fiction, but this one was well worth my time.

I've known the basic information about Operation Redwing since the book first came out. I've seen Marcus Luttrell interviewed on a few news programs and I've looked up articles online. I think I put off reading the book because although Marcus Luttrell survived Operation Redwing, his comrades did not. I knew the story would be somewhat hard to read.

I was right. To some extent. The book was actually very easy to read but extremely hard to put down when I needed to do something else, like go to work. Marcus Luttrell has a wicked sense of humor and since I've always enjoyed learning about anything to do with our Special Forces, the background on Marcus' SEAL training was informative, entertaining and made me even more impressed with the men who make it through.

Then came the hard part. The events of Operation Redwing. Marcus Luttrell is the only survivor after his team is surrounded by Taliban forces in the mountains of Afghanistan. They are severely outnumbered and although his team mates fight on long after the majority of us would have quit/died/surrendered, they are eventually killed. Even the reinforcements that are called in are taken out by a Taliban rocket.

I cried when reading about the actions of these brave American Warriors. They weren't trying to be heroes. They were doing their job as American soldiers in the face of overwhelming odds. I am absolutely honored to meet these men who loved and fought and died for their country and their comrades; to read about their courage under fire.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this book since I finished it. What an insight into the lives and actions of our men in uniform. These unsung heroes in a day and age of Hollywood starlets and scandals. Our men and women in uniform who quietly go about the business of keeping this country safe against a violent enemy.

I kept a promise to myself to read this book and in doing so, read about greater promises kept. The promise our men and women in uniform make to defend this country. The promise Marcus Luttrell made to a team mate to live to tell his wife he loved her. 

This book touched me like few books have ever done. I am in awe of the 'never quit' attitude of a lone Navy SEAL. I am humbled by the bravery of our soldiers. I have a deeper respect and gratitude then I've ever known. They are in my prayers more then ever before.

God Bless our Soldiers! God Bless the USA!

No comments: