About Me

My photo
I'm a librarian by day, a writer by night, and a reader and amateur photographer in between. I love to share books and other things that interest me. My own book - The Marshal Meets His Match - released January 2013. You can also find me at www.facebook.com/ClariDees

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Follow up.

After reading Lone Survivor, I was in the mood for more information on Navy SEALs, so I picked up this:

The Warrior Elite by Dick Couch.

Former Navy SEAL, Dick Couch, followed and wrote about SEAL Class 228, the same class Lone Survivor Marcus Luttrell graduated alongside.

It isn't exactly a light read, but it only took me an evening and the following morning to read the book from cover to cover. If you've ever wanted a fairly in-depth look at what it takes to be a SEAL, this book will give it to you.

It takes a special breed of men to make it all the way through SEAL training; to actually pin on the SEAL Trident. SEAL Warriors aren't some back-woods, country hicks that couldn't make it anywhere else. SEAL Warriors aren't muscle-bound dumb jocks. No...if they were, they couldn't be, wouldn't be SEALs. There are so many levels and kinds of training these men not only have to master, but exell at, it's mind boggling to me.

Yes, they have to be excellent with all kinds of weapons. Yes, they have to have a very high level of physical can-do like jump out of planes into water, in the dark, with a Zodiac, swim underwater for miles... They also have to know things like...medicine...photography...demolitions...satellites...oceanography...physics...etc.  And they have to be able to do these things while cold, wet, in pain and even under fire.

Nope! I couldn't cut it. But they can. And Do! On a daily basis! And that impresses me to no end!

Have you ever wondered what it takes to be a Warrior? Check out The Warrior Elite, and find out what it means to "Never Quit."

No comments: